Thursday, August 5, 2010

Meds or not?

I have clinical depression.  After a year of counseling and at the suggestion of my counselor, I saw a doctor to see about getting on medication.  I was perscribed Fluoxetine and have been on it for a year and a half.  The thing is I am on a pretty high dose and I don't really feel like it is doing the whole job.  So like a very bad patient I weaned myself off of the meds to see how I can function on my own now that I am doing things I like in school and we have our own home ( owning home = having my own space and less worries).  After a month of being completely unmedicated I feel the same. Honestly I feel a little happier but I am scared. 

I have been in really scary bad bad places mentally in the last two years and I really don't want to go back there.  Even on the meds I was frequently sucidal ( I have had less thoughts of self harm/ suicide since I have been off of them).  I do however still have not awesome days, I am happier and don't really feel like my lows are any lower than they were on the meds.

So I guess my question for the cosmos is do I try this semester of school without meds and just see how I do? Or do I go talk to my doctor and see if there is some other drug that can make the lows totally go away?

 I have never tried anything else because when I went in after a year to talk to my doctor again to tell her that I was still having suicidal thoughts and she was not available.  I ended up talking to a PA who totally ignored me when I said I was struggling and actually perscribed me excessive amounts of the drugs (like a 3 month supply at once) I actually had to sign them over to a friend so they were out of my house so I didn't overdose-I could have died 6 times with the amount of pills I got in one perscription refill.  Needless to say I don't really think that drug was working for me.

What do I do now? Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment